Monday, July 20, 2009

Taliban Release Video of Kidnapped American Soldier



A video released by the Taliban show the American soldier kidnapped June 30 to be alive but emotionally distressed as his captors threatened to kill him if a rescue attempt is launched. Via CNN:
(CNN) -- A United States soldier captured by the Taliban says in a video posted on the Internet he is "scared I won't be able to go home."

The soldier was identified Sunday by the Pentagon as Pfc. Bowe R. Bergdahl, 23, of Ketchum, Idaho. He was captured June 30 from Paktika province in southeastern Afghanistan.

The Taliban has threatened to kill Bergdahl if foreign troops continue targeting civilians in the name of search operations in Ghazni and Paktika province, Taliban commander Mulvi Sangeen said by telephone Friday after being contacted by CNN at an undisclosed location.

NATO-led forces in Afghanistan and the U.S. military have repeatedly denied targeting civilians.

In the 28-minute video, Bergdahl becomes emotional when he speaks of his family -- his parents, siblings, nieces and nephew -- and the girlfriend he hopes to marry.

"I have a very, very good family that I love back home in America, and I miss them every day that I'm gone," he says. "I miss them and I'm afraid I might never see them again and that I'll never be able to tell them I love them again. I'll never be able to hug them."

He adds that he is "scared. I'm scared I won't be able to go home. It is very unnerving to be a prisoner." However, he says his captors are treating him "like a guest."

It was not clear whether some or all of Bergdahl's remarks were scripted by his captors.

Please continue to pray for the safety of Pfc. Bergdahl and of all our troops in Afghanistan, especially those who are searching for him and may be sent to rescue him.

Previous:
American Soldier Captured by Afghan Insurgents

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My thoughts are with you. My father was a POW in WWII and he just died on August 4. I can't imagine what it is like to be a hostage. I pray for his safe release.